Notebook: Gaughan But Not Forgotten

B.Gaughan

Brendan Gaughan will step away from full-time driving in 2018 but remain active in the sport. (Photo: Getty Images)

Share:

Brendan Gaughan will step away from full-time driving in 2018 but remain active in the sport.

The veteran driver announced over the Homestead-Miami Speedway weekend that he would not return to Richard Childress Racing’s XFINITY Series program in 2018 and will not compete in any full-time competition.

"I’m sorry I lied to the fans," Gaughan said about not making an announcement sooner in the year when he knew his full-time days would end. "It wasn’t something I could talk about until now, but I’ve known this was going to be it for me as a full-time driver when Homestead came and went."

Gaughan plans on competing in four Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series races at Daytona International Speedway and Talladega Superspeedway for Beard Motorsports next season. He’d also like to compete in XFINITY Series road races and plans on doing some off-road racing, bringing him back to his roots.

Gaughan launched an alcoholic beverage business last year called "City Lights Shine," which has been successful in its early stages. He also co-hosts a weekly show on SiriusXM NASCAR Radio.

"Between my family, the racing I plan to do, hopefully even more radio work and our business, I might not be at the track every week. But I won’t be slowing down any, just doing some different things," Gaughan said.

Toyota Truck Dominance
Christopher Bell’s 2017 NASCAR Camping World Truck Series title continued the stellar run for Toyota. The manufacturer won its 10th title at Homestead-Miami Speedway last Friday night, marking its fifth consecutive title and 10th in 14 seasons.

Tundra drivers won 12 of 23 races in 2017 and sewed up the NCWTS manufacturers championship when Bell finished second in the season finale at Homestead.

Ford's Next Move
Chevrolet brings the Camaro body style to the Cup Series next season, prompting much conversation about whether Ford might make a counter move against its rival and elevate the Mustang to NASCAR’s top tier.

Dave Pericak, global director of Ford Performance, addressed the possibility last weekend in Miami and didn’t exactly say no.

"We always look at what's going on in the showroom, where we're going with our product development," Pericak said. "We introduced the new Fusion a couple years ago. We will be looking at introducing a new car in the future. We have not submitted anything yet, but stay tuned."

Next MRN Broadcast

On Air Now
Dec. 19, 2017 7:00 PM ET

Upcoming Cup Broadcasts

© 2017 MRN. All Rights Reserved

FacebookTwitterDiggDeliciousLinkedInGoogle BookmarksYahoo BookmarksLive (MSN)

ISC Track Sites