By: Pete Pistone - @PPistone | MRN.com on August 19, 2014 | 8:28 A.M. EST
Jeff Gordon's victory last weekend at Michigan vaulted him past teammate Dale Earnhardt Jr. to No. 1 in Pete Pistone's Power Rankings. (Photo: Getty Images)
Jeff Gordon’s stellar season continued Sunday with a win in the Pure Michigan 400 at Michigan International Speedway and a trip back atop the Power Rankings:
1. Jeff Gordon: The Jeff Gordon of "old" is on display this seaso,n and he proved it again with an impressive performance at Michigan for his third victory of the season.
Season-to-Date Driver Rating: 109.3
Point Standings: 1st
Previous Ranking: 2nd
2. Dale Earnhardt Jr.: Rebounded from a pit-road collision with Kyle Larson and survived a run-in with Denny Hamlin to score a top-five finish at Michigan.
Season-to-Date Driver Rating: 100.3
Point Standings: 2nd
Previous Ranking: 1st
3. Brad Keselowski: Blew a tire late and pounded the wall to take him from contention for the win but recovered to place eighth.
Season-to-Date Driver Rating: 100.6
Point Standings: 3rd
Previous Ranking: 3rd
4. Kevin Harvick: Make it four straight runner-up finishesat Michigan for Harvick and four consecutive top-10 finishes this season.
Season-to-Date Driver Rating: 104.7
Point Standings: 6th
Previous Ranking: 4th
5. Joey Logano: Was in the mix for another win until losing the final restart to Jeff Gordon. Still, Logano scored his fourth consecutive top-10 finish.
Season-to-Date Driver Rating: 105.2
Point Standings: 4th
Previous Ranking: 5th
6. Jimmie Johnson: A remarkable performance to come home with a ninth-place finish after breaking his shifter early in the race.
Season-to-Date Driver Rating: 99.4
Point Standings: 7th
Previous Ranking: 7th
7. Denny Hamlin: A seventh-place finish was by far the best day for the Joe Gibbs Racing stable. But Hamlin's frustration with a lack of speed was evident in his post-race discussion with Dale Earnhardt Jr.
Season-to-Date Driver Rating: 89.8
Point Standings: 20th
Previous Ranking: 9th
8. Ryan Newman: A decent run and good points day for Newman was not without controversy in the form of a spirited debate with Jimmie Johnson after the checkered flag.
Season-to-Date Driver Rating: 83.2
Point Standings: 9th
Previous Ranking: 10th
9. Matt Kenseth: Placed 38th after he was collected in an early multi-car accident.
Season-to-Date Driver Rating: 91.7
Point Standings: 5th
Previous Ranking: 8th
10. Kurt Busch: Had a fast car all weekend and was in contention for Sunday's win at Michigan until he slammed the wall with a cut tire.
Season-to-Date Driver Rating: 85.9
Point Standings: 23rd
Previous Ranking: NR
Dropped Out: Kyle Larson