By: Dustin Long - @dustinlong on August 11, 2014 | 5:47 P.M. EST
The investigation continues into the death of sprint car driver Kevin Ward Jr., who was struck by Tony Stewart's car during a race at Canandaigua Motorsports Park. (Photo: Getty Images)
Ontario County Sheriff Philip Povero said Monday that the investigation into the fatal sprint car accident involving Tony Stewart continues. Povero stressed that there remains no evidence of criminal intent.
Kevin Ward Jr., 20, died Saturday night after he was struck by Stewart’s sprint car during an Empire Super Sprints race at Canandaigua Motorsports Park. Stewart and Ward had been racing together when Ward’s car bounced off the wall and spun. Ward exited his car and walked down the track, gesturing toward Stewart’s car before being hit.
Ward’s autopsy was conducted Monday by the Ontario County Coroner Kevin Henderson. The cause of death is massive blunt trauma. No other details of the autopsy are being released.
Povero said that the sheriff’s office continues to seek video of the incident. He said they’ve reviewed two videos of the incident. The videos are from different angles.
Sheriff’s officers also were back at the track on Monday re-examining the crash scene. Povero added that the sheriff’s office was in contact with a representative of Stewart and that he is available for any additional interviews.
“We ... would like to see resolution as quickly as possible, but by the same token we don’t want to leave any stone unturned,’’ Povero said.