Ambrose Says He Owes Earnhardt An Apology
By: Dustin Long - @dustinlong on February 16, 2014 | 12:14 A.M. EST
Dale Earnhardt Jr. drives away after an incident with Marcos Ambrose in Saturday night's Sprint Unlimited. (Photo: Getty Images)
DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. - Marcos Ambrose said he would seek Dale Earnhardt Jr. to apologize for an incident that ended Earnhardt’s run in Saturday night’s Sprint Unlimited at Daytona International Speedway.
The drivers were running together when they made contact to bring out the caution on Lap 67 of the 75-lap race. Earnhardt showed his displeasure by clipping the side of Ambrose’s car down the backstretch after the incident.
“I was trying to help Junior there and ended up hurting him and hurting myself,” said Ambrose, who finished seventh. “I was trying to push him and there was a little bit of a zig and a little bit of a zag and the next thing you know I helped him in the fence. I apologize to Junior. I’ll try and find him later on if he wants to talk to me, but that’s just what happens here. You’ve got 10 laps to go in a race that only counts to win and I’m trying to push him to the front. Unfortunately, it was just a bad day.”
Earnhardt, who finished ninth, said he didn’t know Ambrose was outside of him when they made contact.
“Hard racing, and I was upset with him, but I can't say really that it was his fault,” Earnhardt said. “He was going to the outside and I didn't know he was up there. I thought he was staying with me because he had been pushing me down the straightaway so I thought he was kind of committed to that situation. A lot was happening right there and we just got turned around.”
On the contact with Ambrose after the incident?
“He bent the steering on my car, I couldn't steer very good,’’ Earnhardt said. “We were just having some fun. His car was already torn up, so I didn't hurt it any worse than it already was. It was time to go, and I know he was trying to do what he thought he needed to do, and so was I.”