By: Pete Pistone - @PPistone on October 22, 2013 | 7:54 A.M. EST
Jimmie Johnson, with help from crew chief Chad Knaus, has scored five top-10 finishes in the first six races of the Chase. (Photo: Getty Images)
Jimmie Johnson wrestled the championship lead away from Matt Kenseth and climbed back to the top of the Power Rankings:
1. Jimmie Johnson: Talladega certainly wasn't a shining moment for Johnson with only a 13th-place finish, but it was good enough for an eight-point swing in the standings to put him atop the Chase race.
Season-to-Date Driver Rating: 108.2
Point Standings: 1st
Previous Ranking: 2nd
2. Matt Kenseth: Kudos to Kenseth for choosing to actually race at the front of the field at Talladega. But handling problems and no one to work with in the closing laps of the race resulted in a 20th-place finish for the Joe Gibbs Racing driver.
Season-to-Date Driver Rating: 110.2
Point Standings: 2nd
Previous Ranking: 1st
3. Kyle Busch: After his vicious Truck series crash Saturday, Busch deserves tremendous admiration for racing as hard as he did in Sunday's Sprint Cup Series race and finishing fifth, which brought him a little closer to the top of the point standings.
Season-to-Date Driver Rating: 101.8
Point Standings: 3rd
Previous Ranking: 5th
4. Jeff Gordon: Choose to ride in the back of the pack most of the race. He did make things work to be a player in the late going before he wound up 14th.
Season-to-Date Driver Rating: 91.5
Point Standings: 5th
Previous Ranking: 4th
5. Kevin Harvick: Strategy to ride in the back may have been understandable, but it didn't win over a lot of fans. Harvick never got his chance to make an impact at the front of the field and finished 12th.
Season-to-Date Driver Rating: 93.3
Point Standings: 4th
Previous Ranking: 3rd
6. Dale Earnhardt Jr.: Another second-place finish was all Earnhardt could come home with at Talladega after the clock struck midnight and thwarted any chance of a last-lap move around winner Jamie McMurray.
Season-to-Date Driver Rating: 96.8
Point Standings: 6th
Previous Ranking: 8th
7. Clint Bowyer: Another week and yet another top-10 finish for Bowyer, who moved up the rankings because others had disappointing days in Talladega.
Season-to-Date Driver Rating: 92.9
Point Standings: 8th
Previous Ranking: 10th
8. Kurt Busch: Got lots of press prior to the race with the Wonder Bread-Talladega Nights paint scheme. After spending a great deal of time near the front of the pack, he was shuffled back to an 18th-place finish.
Season-to-Date Driver Rating: 94.5
Point Standings: 9th
Previous Ranking: 9th
9. Brad Keselowski: Fell a lap down, battled back to be a factor in the latter stages but Keselowski left Talladega 29th after his Charlotte victory a week ago.
Season-to-Date Driver Rating: 92.7
Point Standings: 15th
Previous Ranking: 6th
10. Greg Biffle: One of the drivers who chose to race rather than ride and had the No. 16 entry at the front of the field for a number of laps. He finished 11th.
Season-to-Date Driver Rating: 83.3
Point Standings: 7th
Previous Ranking: NR
Dropped Out: Joey Logano