By: Pete Pistone - @PPistone on October 29, 2013 | 8:25 A.M. EST
Matt Kenseth is back on top of the Power Rankings after his runner-up finish at Martinsville Speedway. (Photo: Getty Images)
Matt Kenseth overcame his past troubles at Martinsville Speedway to finish second on Sunday and return to the top of the Power Rankings:
1. Matt Kenseth: Martinsville has never been kind to Kenseth throughout his Sprint Cup career - at least until he joined Joe Gibbs Racing. Led 202 laps on Sunday on his way to a second place-finish and a piece of the Chase lead.
Season-to-Date Driver Rating: 111.0
Point Standings: 1st (based on tiebreaker)
Previous Ranking: 2nd
2. Jimmie Johnson: Somehow a fifth-place finish at Martinsville just doesn't seem right for Johnson after he's had so much success there. Saw his Chase lead slip away after Sunday's effort.
Season-to-Date Driver Rating: 108.8
Point Standings: 2nd (based on tiebreaker)
Previous Ranking: 1st
3. Jeff Gordon: Gordon proved he’s still capable of winning Sprint Cup Series races with career win No. 88 Sunday at Martinsville. He crept a little closer to the top of the standings, but time is precious.
Season-to-Date Driver Rating: 92.6
Point Standings: 3rd
Previous Ranking: 4th
4. Kyle Busch: He led early and was in the lead pack for most of Sunday at Martinsville until it mattered most. Dropped like a rock in the latter stages with handling issues and came home with a disappointing 15th.
Season-to-Date Driver Rating: 101.8
Point Standings: 5th
Previous Ranking: 3rd
5. Kevin Harvick: Somehow through the weekend controversy, Harvick was able to notch a sixth-place Martinsville finish while also battling some engine gremlins. The next three weeks at RCR promise to be more than awkward after the exchange of words last Saturday afternoon.
Season-to-Date Driver Rating: 93.5
Point Standings: 4th
Previous Ranking: 5th
6. Dale Earnhardt Jr.: The consistent finishes keep coming for Earnhardt, although the wins are still few and far between. Had a fast car early in the race after making some Saturday practice adjustments and came home with a top-10 finish.
Season-to-Date Driver Rating: 97.0
Point Standings: 7th
Previous Ranking: 6th
7. Clint Bowyer: Continued his Martinsville prowess with a strong run and a third-place finish - the only bright spot during a rough day for Michael Waltrip Racing.
Season-to-Date Driver Rating: 93.8
Point Standings: 6th
Previous Ranking: 7th
8. Brad Keselowski: Looked like the Blue Deuce might steal another victory in the Chase on Sunday, but Keselowski got shuffled back during the last long green-flag run and had to settle for fourth.
Season-to-Date Driver Rating: 93.0
Point Standings: 15th
Previous Ranking: 9th
9. Greg Biffle: Emotions boiled over after the race when Biffle confronted Jimmie Johnson on pit road in the aftermath of an on-track skirmish. Cooler heads finally prevailed and Biffle got out of Martinsville with a top-10 finish.
Season-to-Date Driver Rating: 83.2
Point Standings: 8th
Previous Ranking: 10th
10. Jamie McMurray: Followed his Talladega victory with a solid day in Martinsville bringing home the Earnhardt Ganassi Racing No. 1 Chevrolet to a top-10 finish.
Season-to-Date Driver Rating: 83.0
Point Standings: 14th
Previous Ranking: N/R
Dropped Out: Kurt Busch