SHR: 'Nothing is Done' on Kurt Busch Offer
By: Dustin Long - @dustinlong on August 19, 2013 | 5:18 P.M. EST
Greg Zipadelli, competition director at Stewart-Haas Racing, said Monday that the team has not talked to any drivers other than Kurt Busch about joining the team in 2014. (Photo: Getty Images)
Greg Zipadelli, competition director for Stewart-Haas Racing, says that “nothing is done’’ in regards to a report that the team has offered Kurt Busch a contract for next season.
FoxSports.com first reported Sunday night that Stewart-Haas Racing made an offer to Busch. His contract with Furniture Row Racing expires after this season.
Busch acknowledged to ESPN.com on Monday that he’s received offers from “multiple teams’’ but did not specify which ones.
Asked Monday if the team is talking to other drivers beyond Busch, Zipadelli said “no, not at all.’’
If Busch goes to Stewart-Haas Racing, he’ll have Tony Stewart, Danica Patrick and Kevin Harvick, who will join the team next season, as teammates. Ryan Newman will not return after this season.
When Stewart discussed the hiring of Harvick last month at New Hampshire Motor Speedway, he said “we are not ready expand to a fourth team.’’
Should Stewart-Haas Racing add Busch, it will mark the second consecutive year the organization has expanded. It went from two to three teams this year with Patrick’s addition.
Zipadelli cited the additional team - along with the switch to the Gen-6 car -as one of the reason’s for the slow start this season for the organization.
“There's lessons to be learned,’‘ he said. “ We're not to that point yet. Right now we are a three‑car (team). We have made lots of gains throughout the year, but I still think we have room to improve. We're still working on that.
“Obviously if something were to come, we would look at where we feel like we fell short and try to do a better job at it.’’