Kurt Busch Remains Positive
By: Pete Pistone - @PPistone | MRN.com on May 14, 2013 | 4:57 P.M. EST
Busch took part in a test session at Michigan Int’l Speedway on Tuesday in preparation for next month’s first of two Sprint Cup Series races at the two-mile track. (Photo: Getty Images)
Busch took part in a test session at Michigan Int’l Speedway on Tuesday in preparation for next month’s first of two Sprint Cup Series races at the two-mile track. Along with the Wood Brothers’ Trevor Bayne, Busch spent the day turning very fast laps around the Michigan oval in the new Gen-6 Sprint Cup car.
“I’m glad we came to test,” said Busch. “If we had to unload and work on this car in a quick hour and a half we would have definitely been behind.”
After last year’s high speeds in the aftermath of the track’s repaving, finding the right combination to work with the new Cup machine will be a challenge come race weekend.
“There’s just a fine line right now of when you have that speed and you can slip over the edge very easily because the tires are still the conservative hard tire that they had for when the track was fast and had more grip,” said Busch. “So the pace will be down with the initial running, but once we get all the cars out there we’ll have to see how the pace picks back up.”
Busch came to the MIS test after an ultimately disappointing weekend at Darlington Raceway, where he won the pole for the Bojangles Southern 500 but battled handling issues throughout the race. He wound up finishing 14th but hasn’t lost his optimism for the potential he sees with the Furniture Row team this season.
“This group is great with team communication and not losing track of things,” said Busch of last week’s misfortune. “Items that are brought up in team meetings are accomplished by week’s end and we’re moving on very quickly.”
While Busch is concentrating on his NASCAR endeavors, he is still dabbling in other forms of motorsports. In addition to testing an Australian V-8 SuperCar at the Circuit of America’s earlier this year, Busch successfully completed his Rookie Orientation Program at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway last week behind the wheel of an Andretti AutoSport entry.
Busch won’t attempt the Indy 500 this year, but has left the door open for possibly trying in 2014 and perhaps getting some IndyCar oval track experience in before this season ends.
“It would be the smart thing to do,” he said. “It’s a matter of just aligning all the stars, whether it’s the team being prepared to do it, sponsorship, the advertising partners to go with you…..you name it. There’s a lot of dominoes that have to go into place but the way that Indy went and the rookie test being complete it’s much more of a possibility now.”
Next MRN Broadcast
Upcoming Cup Broadcasts
- Team Penske to Appeal Penalties
- Dave Rogers Taking Personal Leave
- Truex More Comfortable at Martinsville
- New Digital Platform to Feature Racing in Virginia
- Opinion: I Was Just Thinking ...
- NASCAR Notebook: No Atlanta Repave ... for Now
- Power Rankings After Auto Club
- Auto Club Checkered and Black Flags