Busch: 'Lack of Judgment' Led to Ticket
By: John Singler on May 26, 2011 | 3:20 P.M. EST
"Obviously, I didn’t use caution and I had a lack of judgment." (Photo: Getty Images)
Kyle Busch has spent the early months of the 2011 NASCAR season speeding toward the all-time record for race wins in the Nationwide Series.
But it was Busch’s speeding down a public road in North Carolina’s Iredell County earlier this week that led off his Q&A with the media Thursday afternoon at Charlotte Motor Speedway, as teams continued preparation for this weekend’s doubleheader.
Busch was ticketed for careless and reckless driving Tuesday afternoon – clocked at 128 miles per hour in a 45-mph zone flanked by a nearby church, day care center and several residential neighborhoods.
On Thursday afternoon at CMS, nearly two days to the exact hour he was pulled over, Busch addressed the media.
“Fortunately, there was no one hurt,” he said. “But that doesn’t make any kind of excuse for what happened, for my lack of judgment and for what I did.”
Busch, who celebrated his 26th birthday earlier this month, was driving a $350,000 sports car on loan from Lexus when he was stopped Tuesday, with wife Samantha a passenger.
“It was a high-performance vehicle that shouldn’t be taken lightly and should be driven with caution,” said Busch, who has a July 20 court date. “Obviously, I didn’t use caution and I had a lack of judgment. All I can do is (to) try to make sure it doesn’t happen again.”
Busch had made assurances to that effect in his statement released just hours after the ticket was issued. He underscored that assertion during Thursday’s presser.
“There are some learning experiences to be taken from this,” said Busch, who drives for Joe Gibbs Racing. “The best I can do is move along past it for this weekend.”
Team owner Joe Gibbs was at the track with Busch, who said the organization is reviewing the entire incident.
“We’ve discussed some things and are working through the process now,” Busch said, “looking at what might be done later on down the road.”
This weekend finds Busch one victory away from matching Mark Martin’s all-time Nationwide Series record of 49 wins. He’s one of 45 entries for Saturday’s Top Gear 300, driving the No. 18 Z-Line Designs Toyota.
Busch also will be focused on the No. 87 Nemco Motorsports entry and driver Kimi Raikkonen, who made his NASCAR debut last weekend in the Camping World Truck Series, driving a Kyle Busch Motorsports Toyota. A KBM crew has helped prepare the car for Raikkonen’s first Nationwide Series start at Charlotte.
“He gave the truck a good ride last weekend,” Busch said of the ex-Formula 1 world champion. “What’s to be expected of him this weekend is to run all the laps, make 300 miles and get a feel for what the car’s like.”
Beyond Charlotte, a natural progression for Raikkonen might be to go from the Truck Series to Nationwide … then ultimately up to the Sprint Cup Series. Busch cautions about moving ahead too quickly.
“We’ve had no discussions about the Cup Series at all,” he said. “As far as I know, this weekend is the last hurrah with Kimi – unless he comes back and wants to do further races in NASCAR.”
Busch will be doing double duty in Charlotte, also running in Sunday’s Coca-Cola 600 Sprint Cup Series race.