Newman Starts 17Th In Pepsi 500
August 29, 2008 | 4:00 P.M. EST
Newman turned a quick lap of 177.489 miles per hour (40.566 seconds) at the two -mile D-shaped oval. Jimmie Johnson, driver of the No. 48 Lowe’s/Jimmie Johnson Foundation Chevrolet, won the pole with a lap of 180.397 miles per hour (39.912 seconds).
“It was a decent pickup for the Kodak Dodge from where we were in practice earlier today,” Newman said. “We have a super important practice tomorrow night because we will be practicing close to race time and that means that we can see where we are compared to the competition.”
In 11 previous starts at Auto Club Speedway, Newman has two top-five and four top-10 finishes. He finished 10th at Auto Club Speedway in February.
Newman is currently 15th in the NASCAR Cup Series standings, 181 points away from the cutoff for the Chase for the NASCAR Cup with just two races remaining.
Live coverage of the Pepsi 500 begins on the ESPN television network on Sunday, August 31 at 7 p.m. EDT. The race can also be heard on the MRN Radio Network at 7:15 p.m,
Next MRN Broadcast
Upcoming Cup Broadcasts
- Team Penske to Appeal Penalties
- Dave Rogers Taking Personal Leave
- Truex More Comfortable at Martinsville
- New Digital Platform to Feature Racing in Virginia
- Opinion: I Was Just Thinking ...
- NASCAR Notebook: No Atlanta Repave ... for Now
- Power Rankings After Auto Club
- Auto Club Checkered and Black Flags