Mayfield Out At Evernham
August 11, 2006 | 2:31 P.M. EST
Mayfield told reporters he "doubted he'd be back" at Evernham Motorsports next season.
As it turned out, Mayfield won't even finish this season with the team.
Team owner Ray Evernham told reporters at Watkins Glen International Raceway Friday that Mayfield has been released from the operation.
Evernham had announced earlier in the week that veteran Bill Elliott would replace Mayfield in the team's No. 19 Dodge at The Glen this weekend, in what was considered to be a temporary move.
But Friday's announcement sealed Mayfield's fate, which had been rumored for days.
"He has been terminated, and I honestly don't want to discuss the terms with that," Evernham told reporters.
"When the performance is not up to par, it's frustrating on both sides," Evernham continued. "The decision was made because of the performance of the car. There was certainly frustration, and we weren't pleased with some of the comments that were made. But in no way was that the reason for the change."
Mayfield had been very vocal about the No. 19 car's performance and what he believed to be a lack of interest from Evernham.
But last month at Chicagoland Speedway, the two called an impromptu press conference to clear the air.
The situation grew tense only a couple weeks later with Mayfield again complaining about the team and becoming the subject of rumored moves to Bill Davis Racing or Michael Waltrip Racing.
Elliott Sadler, who asked for his release from Robert Yates Racing's M&M's Ford at the end of the year, has reportedly been offered Mayfield's seat with Evernham.