Big Penalties For Burton Team
October 22, 2002 | 5:01 P.M. EST
The sanctioning body's post-race inspection found unapproved front springs on the Caterpillar Dodge. The coil winding of the front springs was not evenly spaced and did not meet the standards set forth in the rule book.
Davis was penalized 25 owner points, Burton was penalized 25 driver points and Stoddard was fined $10,000. Because of the penalties, Davis will drop one position in the owners standings to 27th place.
Burton started fourth and finished fifth in the Old Dominion 500 at Martinsville Speedway last weekend. With that finish, he had moved up two positions to 24th in points. However, after the penalty he now drops back to 25th.
Next MRN Broadcast
Upcoming Cup Broadcasts
- Team Penske to Appeal Penalties
- Dave Rogers Taking Personal Leave
- Truex More Comfortable at Martinsville
- New Digital Platform to Feature Racing in Virginia
- Opinion: I Was Just Thinking ...
- NASCAR Notebook: No Atlanta Repave ... for Now
- Power Rankings After Auto Club
- Auto Club Checkered and Black Flags