Gaughan Returning to Nationwide
October 18, 2013 | 10:12 A.M. EST
"I'm really happy to be taking on this new challenge in my career and returning to full-time competition in the Nationwide Series." (Photo: Getty Images)
Brendan Gaughan will move to the Nationwide Series next year as Richard Childress Racing expands its operation.
Gaughan will drive the No. 62 car and have crew chief Shane Wilson join him from the Camping World Truck Series. South Point Hotel and Casino, which is owned by Gaughan’s family, will be the primary sponsor.
With Gaughan’s addition, RCR will field four Nationwide cars next year. The organization also will have Ty Dillon and Brian Scott run the series, along with the No. 33 car, which will have multiple drivers.
"It is great to have Brendan Gaughan and South Point back with us for another season," said Richard Childress, president and CEO of Richard Childress Racing. "Brendan has proved he can race and win in NASCAR. We're looking forward to having him with us full time next year in the Nationwide Series driving the No. 62 South Point Chevrolet Camaro. Michael Gaughan has been a big supporter of RCR, and racing in general, for many years and it's a privilege to have him and Brendan as part of our team in 2014.
"This gives us a very competitive Nationwide Series line up for next year, and I look forward to winning races with all three of our drivers."
Gaughan last ran fulltime in the Nationwide Series.
“It’s not so much that the comeback is what level it is, it’s how well have we been running,’’ he said. “We have been fast, we have led laps, we have been out front. we had a streak of five top-fives in a row. Until last week we were still (tied) for the most top fives in the series with as many bad finishes as we had. This year has just absolutely been crazy on the weird things that have happened. For me, the emotional part, at least it’s been proven that I’m still a dang good racecar driver."
Gaughan has made 84 career Nationwide starts with no wins, nine top-five finishes and 22 top-10s.
Mike Dillon, vice president of competition, said that RCR plans to continue to field teams in the Camping World Truck Series.