Indycar Drivers Geared For Rolex 24
January 6, 2009 | 6:00 P.M. EST
Scott Dixon and Dario Franchitti will join Alex Lloyd in the No. 02 Target/TELMEX Daytona Prototype. The drivers participated in testing at Daytona International Speedway Jan. 2-4.
Chip Ganassi and co-owner Felix Sabates are the first team owners to win three consecutive Rolex 24 At Daytona overall titles. Last year, Franchitti, Juan Pablo Montoya, Scott Pruett and Memo Rojas teamed up to win the race on the 3.56-mile circuit.
Other IndyCar Series drivers entered in the twice-around-the-clock race in the Daytona Prototype class include:
- Danica Patrick with Childress-Howard Motorsports (Casey Mears, Andy Wallace and Rob Finlay teammates).
- Ryan Briscoe with Penske Racing (Timo Bernhard and Romain Dumas teammates).
- Buddy Rice with Brumos Racing (Darren Law, David Donohue and Antonio Garcia teammates).
- Ryan Hunter-Reay with Michael Shank Racing (Colin Braun, Oswaldo Negri and Mark Patterson teammates).
- Darren Manning with Orbit Racing (Kyle Petty, Marc Goossens and Leo Hindery Jr. teammates).
Vision Racing co-owner Patrick Dempsey heads the Dempsey Racing lineup in the GT class with Joe Foster, Tim Lewis Jr. and Charles Espenlaub. IndyCar Series competitors Max Papis (Mastercar-Coast 2 Costa Racing) and Jeff Bucknum (Stevenson Motorsports) also will compete in the GT class. Also competing in the GT class will be Jim Michaelian, race director of the Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach.
The IndyCar Series and Firestone Indy Lights will headline the annual street race for the first time April 19.